In this digital information age, literacy is no longer optional for those seeking career or personal success. La Porte County residents with limited literacy skills face substantial hurdles. However, we’re here to help!
READ La Porte County, Inc. is a United Way agency with a mission to increase the reading, math, English and digital literacy skills in the community through tutoring and through advocacy. We offer the following services:
- Free tutoring sessions for children and adult learners at the La Porte County Public Library and other community locations;
- Free tutoring sessions at local schools during the school day;
- Group classes for adult learners at the La Porte County Community Corrections Center;
- Group classes for individuals who are learning English as a Second Language (“ESL”) at Handley Elementary School; and
- Regularly scheduled training workshops for current and potential tutors.
Our students come from all walks of life, representing a wide variety of ages, ethnicities, socioeconomic backgrounds and skill levels. They strive to reach a broad range of goals that include everything from improving grades at school to learning computer skills to passing the citizenship test. Click here to learn more about our current programs. If you would like to receive tutoring services, please complete our student application form. If you are under the age of 18, please also complete our Parental Consent Form and Release (PDF).
Like our students, our volunteers are members of the community with diverse experiences to offer. In addition to providing tutoring services, volunteers staff our board, coordinate tutor/student matches and assist at events. We couldn’t do all that we do without them! Learn more about volunteer opportunities; click here. If you are interested in joining our team, please complete our tutor application form. If you are under the age of 18, please also complete our Parental Consent Form and Release (PDF).
Some of the links on this page may require Adobe Reader to view them. The Adobe Reader is available for download free of charge, by clicking here.